The Beguinage in Bruges: A Place That Needs More Than a Photograph

Most visitors to Bruges walk through the Beguinage and leave feeling that they've seen something beautiful without quite knowing what it was. The white-washed houses, the enclosed courtyard, the Benedictine nuns moving quietly between the buildings; it looks peaceful, which it is, and it looks old, which it also is. But the history behind it is more interesting than the setting suggests.
What a beguinage was
The Beguinage is not a convent, and beguines were not nuns. That distinction matters.
In the 12th and 13th centuries, a movement of lay women across northern Europe began forming their own communities; not under the authority of a religious order, not bound by permanent vows, and not subject to the control of a male institution. They lived communally, pooled their resources, supported themselves through their own work, prayed, and cared for the sick. They could leave the community to marry if they chose. They took no permanent vows of poverty or obedience.
This was unusual enough in the medieval world to attract both admiration and suspicion. Beguines occupied a space that the church found difficult to categorise; religious but not consecrated, communal but not cloistered, independent but not secular. In some periods they were supported by the papacy; in others they faced accusations of heresy.
The Bruges Beguinage was founded in 1245 by Margaret of Constantinople, Countess of Flanders. It received the title "Princely" from the patronage of the court of Flanders, a mark of the social standing these women had achieved in the city. At its peak, the beguinage housed several hundred women, many of them educated and skilled in trades including lace-making, weaving and nursing.
The courtyard
The enclosed courtyard you enter through the gate is a world apart from the tourist centre of Bruges, even though it's a ten-minute walk from the Markt.
The whitewashed houses around the perimeter date largely from the 17th century; an earlier structure was damaged by fire. The central garden is planted with grass and trees, and in early spring it is covered in white daffodils, which is when most photographs of the beguinage are taken. Each season has its own quality: the courtyard in summer is shaded and quiet, in autumn the trees turn, in winter it has an austerity that fits the history.
The church at the centre of the beguinage was rebuilt in 1605 and is still used for daily mass. Inside, it is simple and dark in the way that Flemish churches of this period tend to be — nothing like the baroque extravagance of Saint Anne's or the grandeur of the Church of Our Lady. Its restraint is part of the point.
For more information about our tours or to book; click here. Any questions? Where happy to help.
Who lives there now
The last beguines in Bruges died in the early 20th century. Since 1927, the beguinage has been occupied by a community of Benedictine nuns, who maintain the buildings, the church and the rhythm of religious life. A small number of lay women also live within the complex.
The nuns are not a tourist attraction. They are residents. The beguinage functions as both a historic monument and a living community, which is part of what makes it different from a museum.
A small museum in one of the houses shows how a beguine's rooms would have looked: the furniture, the lace-making equipment, the domestic scale of the life lived here. It's worth the few minutes it takes to walk through.
For more information about our tours or to book; click here.
UNESCO recognition
The Flemish Beguinages; thirteen of them, spread across Belgium, were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1998. The recognition was for the beguinage as a building type and as a social phenomenon: a uniquely Flemish form of community that allowed women a degree of independence that was genuinely rare in the medieval and early modern world.
The Bruges Beguinage is one of the best-preserved examples, and its combination of original layout, lived-in atmosphere and accessible location makes it the most visited of the thirteen.
The Beguinage in Bruges: A Place That Needs More Than a Photograph
The Beguinage is a short walk from the Minnewater; the lake that sits at the southern edge of the historic centre, and is open to visitors throughout the day. Entry is free, though a small donation is customary. The museum house has a modest entrance fee.
The right pace here is slow. The beguinage is not a place to cross off a list in five minutes. Sit in the courtyard if the benches are free. Look at the scale of the individual houses and think about the number of women who lived here across seven centuries. Read the small panels in the museum carefully.
The Beguinage is covered in Crusade's private biking tour. The history of the beguines; who they were, what they built, and why their communities survived in Bruges long after they were suppressed elsewhere, is the kind of story that takes a few minutes of explanation to make the place come alive. It's worth hearing before you walk through the gate.
You want the Beguinage in a tour? book here.
FAQ
1. What is the Beguinage in Bruges, and who lived there?
The Princely Beguinage Ten Wijngaerde is one of the best-preserved medieval beguinages in Belgium and a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1998. It was founded in 1245 by Margaret of Constantinople, Countess of Flanders. Beguines were not nuns; they were lay women who formed their own communities without taking permanent vows and without belonging to a religious order. They could leave to marry if they chose. They lived communally, supported themselves through work such as lace-making and nursing, and occupied a space the medieval church found difficult to categorise: religious but not consecrated, independent but not secular. At its peak, the Bruges Beguinage housed several hundred women. Since 1927 it has been home to a community of Benedictine nuns.
2. Is the Beguinage in Bruges free to visit?
Entry to the courtyard and the grounds is free, though a small donation is customary. The small museum inside one of the houses; which shows how a beguine's rooms would have looked, has a modest entrance fee. The church at the centre of the beguinage is also open to visitors and still used for daily mass. The Beguinage is a ten-minute walk from the Markt, close to the Minnewater, and open throughout the day.
3. When is the best time to visit the Beguinage in Bruges?
Spring is when most photographs are taken; the central courtyard fills with white daffodils and the whitewashed facades catch the early-season light. But each season has its own quality: summer is shaded and quiet, autumn brings colour to the trees, and winter has an austerity that fits the history. The beguinage is at its most peaceful early in the morning or on weekday afternoons, before the main tourist flow arrives from the centre. It is covered in the private walking tours, where the history of the beguines; who they were and why their communities survived in Bruges long after they were suppressed elsewhere, is explained before you walk through the gate.